Dude's Tips: Three Ways to Get Cheap Flights to Asia
1. Use travel sites like Expedia, Orbitz, CheapFlights and CheapOAir (which have lowest-price guarantees) to book your flight and hotel as a package deal. That way, you’ll save on both. Right now, Expedia is offering hotels in Asia from $18 and a flight + 4 nights from $1424.
2. If you’ve already got lodging, then the cheapest flights will usually with local, national or regional carriers. For example, Thai Airways offers Discover Thailand packages, which allow you 5-8 flights to any of their domestic airports over a period of three months.
3. If you travel a lot, take advantage of AAdvantage Miles. American Airlines lets you purchase the miles you need to get your flight reward - and, as a special, gives you 30% bonus miles until the end of May. You can use these to reduce the price of your flight to Asia. You can also save them and use them with the miles you’ll earn from your Asia flight - that way, you’ll be able to get tons of perks on your next adventure.
Dude's Tips: Two Ways to Save Big on Your Vacation
1. Stay away from traditional vacation destinations - there are always less-traveled (ergo, less expensive) places that are just as beautiful and fun. Sick of tourists invading your Thailand scene? Try Laos. Looking to go to France? Look closer. Quebec City in Canada boasts the same delicious food and European feel as France, but the exchange rate is way more favorable, getting there from the US is cheaper (Farespotter is offering $49 flights to Quebec right now!), and you can request a refund of up to 6% for all the taxes you pay while you’re there.
2. If you’re planning on spanning several cities or countries on your getaway, take advantage of open-jaw tickets (also called ARNK tickets or continent passes). These allow you to fly to one city, and return from another. This way, you can use public transportation to get between minor destinations on your trip, which saves you tons. To get these deals, use sites like Travelocity or Orbitz which offer these kinds of fares. You need to choose a multi-city or multi-destination option. On Expedia, you can first choose one-way and then choose multi-city afterward to book Circle Trips or Open Jaw Tickets.